I’m just finishing off the binding on the two star quilts but thought you’d like to see the two quilts hanging out in the sunshine once all the quilting on them was finished.
The baptist fan pattern has come out really well in the pictures of this quilt, the pattern was worked from left to right starting at the bottom left corner.
I’m particularly pleased with how the edges of the patchwork are softened and the different colours blend and almost merge together as the fan crosses over them.
I love how the sunlight really catches the tiny ridges and ripples formed by the hand quilting……
From the back the patchwork is almost translucent in the sunshine…the light flows through the fabric and wadding to reveal seam folds where fabric is doubled up, and the quilting appears fainter, almost ghost like.
Moments later the light shifts and the spectral quality is lost, the hand quilting ripples and puckers are revealed again.
This pattern is showing clearer in the pictures, one strong curve on top of the arc and then three almost apple bites beneath as it fits into the two fans below it. (I hope that makes sense)
The pictures of the quilting in the second quilt haven’t come out quite so strongly, the fan was worked slightly differently, starting in the right hand bottom corner, and placing the curves centrally. This was the pattern I used for my boyfriend’s quilt and I like the bottom of curve better…it seems neater to the eye. It’s a bit more tricky as you diagonally upwards rather than straight along and it’s harder to keep the pattern true.
I’m pleased with my choice of fabric for the border, a softer floral print than the yellows used in the main patchwork. Initially I wasn’t planning on a border but then thought it would show off the pieced stars better and allow the quilting design to flow over the quilt better.
However I love the pictures from the back, the quilting shape is much more defined, and you can see more clearly now the difference in the bottom edge of the fan pattern…the design seems a little softer and the top arc of the fan seems wider although I don’t think it is, a trick of the eye perhaps.
I’ve used a soft yellow floral print on the back of them both, when I bought it it was more because I liked the print and general overall softness of it rather than thinking about how it sat with the fabrics chosen for the front…..however when it came to picking fabric for the border I felt it combined with the pieced patchwork really well….luckily I’d ordered a bit extra so there was just enough to use.
Both quilts were marked using a blue water erasable pen and although they’ll both be washed once the binding is all sewn in place, I’ve gently sprayed and patted over with some folded over white fabric to remove as much of the blue now. I’ve never had a trouble with removing it myself, though I know people who have had some problems in the past. (it’s possible that if you leave it on fabric for a long time then it may not be water erasable, so I try to remember to remove it once a section has been quilted).